Anti-wrinkle injections help relax certain facial muscles that cause wrinkles by blocking the nerve impulses that trigger wrinkle-causing muscle contractions. Therefore they can give the face a more refreshed and rejuvenated appearance.
Anti-wrinkle injections are administered by Dr Safvat (not a nurse) in a few tiny injections with extremely fine needles. They are most frequently used on frown lines, crow’s feet (side of the eyes) and forehead lines to create a refreshed look. Anti-Wrinkle injections can also be used to produce a moderate brow lift.
More about Anti Wrinkle Injections
Wrinkle relaxers cause minimal to no discomfort and are usually well-tolerated but Ice packs and anaesthetic creams are available to minimise the discomfort from the procedure. It is important to remember that injectable treatments are medical procedures not simply beauty products, therefore Ethique Plastic Surgery ensures new patients have the opportunity to have a facial analysis performed by Dr Safvat before appropriate treatments are recommended and discussed. Risks and benefits of treatment are also explained in your consultation at our Sydney clinics.
The effect becomes apparent after 3 to 4 days but full results may take up to 2 weeks. For the first couple of sessions, Anti-wrinkle injections usually last around 3-4 months but after regular treatments it can last longer due to retraining of the muscles treated.
Normal activities can be resumed immediately after treatment. However, strenuous exercise should be avoided for 24 hours after treatment. Overall, the product has a very safe and proven track record. There are very few side effects and if they do occur they are usually minor and related to the injection site. There may be some slight local redness and swelling at the injection site but this usually settles very quickly. As with any injection occasionally a small bruise may occur and if it does it will heal within a few days and can be covered with makeup if necessary.
Anti-Wrinkle injections are a generally safe and effective non-surgical method of facial rejuvenation when administered by the right practitioner. Plastic surgeons are recommended for administering anti-wrinkle injections because of their detailed and comprehensive knowledge of facial muscles and nerves. Dr Safvat himself will administer anti-wrinkle injections in our practice.
Overall, the product we use for Anti-Wrinkle Injections has a very safe and has a proven track record. Added to this, having Dr Safvat himself do the injections minimises risk. However, as with any sort of medical treatment there are some potential, although rare side effects:
- There may be some slight local redness and swelling at the injection site but this usually settles very quickly.
- As with any injection occasionally some bruising may occur. If you get bruising, it will heal within a few days and can be covered with makeup if necessary.
- The effects are usually seen within 2-3 days, however in some cases it can take up to 21 days to show full effect.
- Infection (rare).
- You may experience a headache after the treatment, this is usually controlled with over-the-counter pain medications and subsides within 24 hours.
- Muscle weakness and eye symptoms may occur including swelling, dryness, watering, eyestrain and visual disturbances. All should be temporary and subside within a few days.
- Reactions to the injection are possible, however usually mild. Possible reactions include discomfort, burning, redness and bruising.
- Local muscle weakness – usually temporary.
- There is the Possibility of drooping of eyelids or eyebrows but this is usually temporary.
- Swelling of eyelids is possible but usually subsides within a few days.
NOTE: Anti-Wrinkle Injections are not recommended for pregnant or breast-feeding women or for those intending to become pregnant or breast feed.
Dr Safvat will discuss the potential complications and side effects with you during the consultation prior to administering the injections.